Monday, February 10, 2014

DIY Monday: Rustic Coffee Table Plans Included!


Hello all, 
Today I wanted to share one of the projects I FINALLY finished over the weekend. Using a slightly modified version of the plans found on the site, More Like Home I built this coffee table... Yes that's right. I BUILT it. From scratch. All by myself. I'm super proud of myself, since this is the first thing I've ever built on my own. Oh, did I mention that I'm also 9 months pregnant as of this Wednesday? Oh yeah, well that too. Just one more reason why I'm very proud of myself as I'm writing this post. 

For those of you who have thought about trying one of these plans or Ana White's plans but have always been skeptical about how easy or time consuming it is to complete one, here's some advice. Just do it! It was so easy as long as you follow the instructions!! I can't say that enough! Read ALL of the instructions before you start and refer to them constantly while building the project. This is something that you could make yourself on a long weekend and it will add a great rustic charm to your living room!
Below are some pictures that I took along the way:
This is a picture of the frame. The frame itself took me about 1 day to complete. I messed up a few times actually because I didn't follow my own advice and read the instructions all of the way through..

If I were smart enough to follow my own advice I could have easily gotten to this stage in one day. It's basically done. The drawers took about an hour to put together and were soo simple it's not even funny. I'm currently trying to think of other ways to incorporate this drawers into my current furniture or other areas of my house because they were just so easy and cheap to build (When I say cheap, I mean about $2.00 a drawer INCLUDING hardware).


And here is the finished project! 

After sanding down the entire table to a nice smooth finish, I used Jacobean Stain which you can buy here. Jacobean is my absolute favorite stain to use. I love how it's a darker stain, but not so dark that you don't get to see the characteristics of the wood. 
I found an awesome deal on knobs for the drawers. Only .99 cents each! You can get them here.
I also always use polyacrylic to finish of my projects. I used to use polyurethane until I found out that over time it can turn and off yellow colour.. not the look I want to go for after a few years of use. After I let the stain completely dry (only about 4 hours) I applied 3 coats of polyacrylic to the entire table. Again, here's a link to Minwax Polyacrylic that I use on ALL of my projects.

Oh right, here is a link to the plans that I used to build this table. Coffee Table Plans
These awesome plans from More Like Home are super easy to follow. They include all of the measurements and cuts you need to make as well as a detailed shopping list and what tools you will need to complete this project. She did a great job putting together the plans, no wonder this is one of the most popular DIY pinterest pins. Congrats More Like Home!

After seeing how easy this coffee table was to build I'm much more confident in my building capabilities. I'm looking forward to sharing more of my successful pinterest DIY's with you. Hopefully this will inspire others to start a wood building project this weekend! Let me know what you think and what you build!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment