Monday, January 27, 2014

DIY Monday: Baby Girl Nursery for under $500!


Hello everyone, sorry for the recent in-activity. I came down with a nasty head cold this week, and anyone who has been sick AND pregnant knows that it is no walk in the park. Anyways, today I wanted to show off our baby girl's nursery. I think it turned out soo well and I'm very proud to show it off. Most of the inspiration came from Sarah Richardson. On her show Sarah's House on HGTV she renovated this beautiful nursery as shown below:

I LOVE the look of this nursery, it's so calm and relaxing and gender neutral. I love how she added some height to the ceiling by adding the trim around the top and placing the painted letters on that trim. I knew I wanted to have our nursery to have the same look since it was such a small space. I also wanted to add some colour, but didn't want to overload such a small room with an entire wall in bright pink or purple. Here is my finished nursery:



When we first moved into the house the previous owners had just painted this room white. Add in the white floors and it was just like an insane asylum. As you can see above, I choose a basic beige for the lower, main portion of the walls. Then I choose a pink for the 'accent' colour on top, a la Sarah Richardson's nursery. I actually didn't put up any trim like she did. I had planned on doing so, so I tapped off the intended area prior to painting. When I was ready to add the trim I pulled the tape off and realized that the white strip that was left behind actually looked fine just on it's own. I also figured that if I didn't have to spend money on trim then why should I?
Next, came a trip to Ikea, YAY! I managed to purchase ALL of the furniture for this room for under $400 dollars. That's not too shabby if you ask me! A total cost break down of the room goes like this:
Crib and matress: $100.00 on kijiji (originally from Ikea)
Bookshelf: $75.00 at Ikea
Changing Table: On Sale at Ikea for $40.00!
The other $175.00 dollars was spent on items like the teal and white curtains, the pink accent rugs on the floor, the picture frames, bedding etc.

Including painting supplies I managed to re-do this nursery for under $500! I think that is a GREAT deal. However, I don't think I would have been able to do it if I didn't use resources such as kijiji or craigslist. Make use of these great resources! One persons junk is another persons treasure!
Thanks for reading, and hopefully I've given some of you some ideas for your own nursery(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment